M G Harish

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Caught in the Web - Internet Addiction

I have been using the Internet for quite a few years now. At first, it was a wonder. After a bit of use, it became an interest, then it became a hobby. Sometimes, I have asked myself: Can I be there without internet? My answer, fortunately, had always been positive. Yes, I can still manage myself without internet. But this question became more evident when my friend, SN, sent me a link to a Deccan Herald article. Having read that article, I think it is time for me to reconsider the question.

Namrata Iyengar discusses some situations and comes up with some of the symptoms of web obsession.
  1. Having a sense of well-being or euphoria while at the computer
  2. Craving more and more time at the computer
  3. Neglect of family and friends
  4. Feeling empty, depressed or irritable when not at the computer
  5. Lying to employers and family about activities
  6. Inability to stop the activity
  7. Problems with school or the job
She also quotes words of Maressa Hecht Orzack, director of Computer Addiction Services: Excessive Internet use should be defined not by the number of hours spent online, but in terms of ‘losses’; If it’s a loss where you are not getting to work and family relationships are breaking down as a result around it and this is something you can’t handle, then it’s too much. I found this opinion to be more realistic than many others she has quoted.

Now, back to the question about myself. Looking at the above symptoms or the opinion, I don't think I am addicted. Yet, I have to admit, I have had been addicted to a web site Experts Exchange before. I spent myself active in that site, answering questions from people all over the world. I don't say it was a waste or it didn't help me at all. In fact, it has shown me the width and depth of the Internet, helped me get idea about the recent advancement in the ever-changing technologies and more importantly, taught me how to be patient while interacting with people.

You might ask, what on the earth made me decrease the amount of time I spent there? Yes, everything has a reason, known or unknown. I started feeling addicted, and decided to decrease the amount of time I spent there. But, you know, it is easier said than done. It is not possible to come out of any obsession so easily. I had to wait a very long time, even after making the determination, to bring it under some level. (Have I left it completely? Not yet!!). Many other activities helped me get out of that. But one thing is true, I haven't decreased the amount of time I spend online, even though I am not logging into Experts Exchange regularly. But, now I am having a new question in my head. I am wondering, whether these new activities have caught me again? May be, may be not. If they haven't, it is well and good. And if they have, then? For the moment, I am unable to think beyond that...

PS: I am having internal test tomorrow morning, in less than ten hours and I haven't read anything yet. Might this be a clue for my question? I hope it isn't.

Like the post? You may want to...
Digg this

3 comments:

Suresh S Murthy said...

Good one harry! I suppose I am not addicted to blogging? I dunno if I am. Is being passionate about something also a form of addiction?

Harisha - ಹರೀಶ said...

I don't think just being passionate can be called addiction.. But who knows? Addicted won't accept addiction :)

Harika V said...

hey ya its true, but not always.Even im thinking of this now...but i think i can live witout Internet.